Wednesday 21 September 2011

Seniors do you think you've lived in the most defining times of the world?

World change, government, music, technology, social change, etc.



If so/if not why?
Seniors do you think you've lived in the most defining times of the world?
It darn sure has been interesting. My father, d.o.b. 10/03/96, served in the cavalry in WW1. My children could have joined the space program. My mother was born in 03 the year of the first exhibition illuminated by electricity, St Louis Worlds fair and in her lifetime we had nuclear power.



We've seen God and virtue take a back seat to personal freedom. We've gone from unlocked doors to CCTV cameras for basic security.



We were brought up by a generation that wanted to work to improve the world. We now see a generation that can fulfill their needs in a virtual world of 'Second Life'.



I think we've seen more change than any other generation has or will.
Seniors do you think you've lived in the most defining times of the world?
From my perspective the Good Old Times were in the 30's and 40's - since then Music, Morals, Education, Government - all has gotten worse.
I believe its still to come, when technology clashes with society, and society will be forced to examine its values, I predict the next generation, their children, grandchildren will face the most defining times in terms of social values, wars, a global economy, and global warming.



The world as we know it and have known it is going to be rewritten, redefined, and re-allocated and if what we are seeing is the beginning of this then all I can say is God help them .........
I believe I was fortunate to live in this era or generation but that is probably how every generation views it. It really is of no consequence because I've been privileged to have had life. I'm now in my 60's and my life is great. Okay, I have a few things wrong with me but then you can expect that as you get older. Never complain of old age because it's a privilege denied to many.
I think this is a question that can only be answered in retrospect some years from now. Right now it's a can't see the forest for the trees kind of thing.
Every generation has thought it lived in defining times. As a history buff, it does seem like a lot has happened, and a lot of changes, did occur during the twentieth century though.



At 61, I came in on the last half of that century, and a lot has happened since I have been here; but, I think more happened which was defining during the first part of the century.



World War 1 and its second part, also known as World War 2, reshaped and redefined the political and social landscape pretty much all over.



The real sexual revolution was in the twenties which also saw women get the vote and begin to exercize political power, even though it is taking a long time to fully realize it. And, as women demanded their rights, other groups started demanding their rights. The civil rights movement did not begin in the fifties, it started in the twenties.



The great depression of the thirties left its mark on an entire generation and forced many governments to become involved in the everyday lives of their citizens in a way that it had not before; and, despite attempts to roll this back, a complete rollback is extremely unlikely and desired by only a very few.



Television, radio, motion pictures, automobiles, airplanes, antibiotics, and most of the technological advances which have so greatly influenced our lives first appeared during the first half of this century - even the first computer chip, so I am told. :-)
I think every generation thinks this. I can remember my elders talking about %26quot;how the times have changed and the world is going to hell%26quot;, and shaking their heads. Now we're doing the same thing.
Living %26amp; growing up in the 50's %26amp; 60's were the good old days for me.