Friday 7 October 2011

How should I begin a persuasive speech in praise of science and technology?

Okay, this is homework, but I'm not asking for anyone to do it for me. I have the whole speech basically mapped out, with facts, figures and examples. I'm just having trouble starting it. My first paragraph is going to lead into the idea that science research has totally changed our view of the world from ancient times.



How should I begin? I just need a prompt, an opening sentence or a good angle to begin from.



Please help. I'm really stuck.
How should I begin a persuasive speech in praise of science and technology?
I always start persuasive writing with %26quot;imagine a world in which....%26quot; or something along those lines. Paint a picture that illustrates your point then bring in the facts. For example, %26quot;imagine if Newton never saw the apple fall from the tree. Would we still view that era as one in which the brightest minds came out of the dark ages to discover more about science...%26quot;



It always seems to work. Just don't go too over the top. Good luck.